Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 + Xgl + ATI fglrx + Compiz Fusion
If you have a ATI graphics card, you might have to tweak Ubuntu 7.10 a bit before compiz fusion will work correctly.
1. Installation on a fresh Gutsy install.
Enable fgrlx driver.
Install linux-restricted-modules and restricted-manager provided in the restricted repositories:
code (copy/past the 2 lines in one time!):
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-generic restricted-manager
Install the ati driver: system->administration->restricted drivers manager
2. Install xserver-xgl package
sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl
3. Install compiz
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-gnome compiz-plugins libcompizconfig-backend-gconf libcompizconfig0
4. Restart x-server (ctrl+alt+backspace)
2. If you upgrade to Gutsy and had tried Xgl before.
3. Mess with your compiz fusion settings (system -> preferences -> advanced desktop effect settings)
After messing with them you will have something like this.
(that beats vista’s aero on every level doesn’t it?(gniffels silently in a corner whilst in stand-up fetus position))
And much, much more!
Note: this is copied from Ubuntu Forums.
If you have questions post them there.